Tuesday, February 08, 2011

fresh start

Yesterday I decided to revamp my blog.  I had originally made it for a class assignment on the book of Romans while studying at Eston College.  Then it had sat for some time with a few tidbits of information here and there, but was more or less neglected for a few years.  The time has come!  I feel like it'll be a good outlet for writing and putting some ground beneath the feet of meandering thoughts.  And I hope that someone somewhere might find what I say interesting... though I can't say I'd know why!

Upon cursory glance one might wonder themselves what all this is about:  Svet?  Scarlet Monks?  Mythopoeia?
My mother taught me the importance of clear communication, so I feel that some explanation is in order.

What is Svet?
  • Svet is an imaginary land of my own invention.  Its become sort of the 'go-to' world when I write something that's supposed to be goofy.  The first story of the land of Svet was about a boy named Bim who lived alone on a hill and met up with Hendio, a travelling adventurer, who invited him on his journey to the sea.  It never got very far, but it was mildly amusing.  There was another story too, something about a ship-wreck, and another about a war and how a captured general wins his guards over to his cause and they all escape together.  Anyway, as I've said, Svet is an imaginary world.  In some ways it also represents creative thought in and of itself: mine in particular.  So "Wandering the Land of Svet" is the same as "Nik's musings on anything and everything" (though particularly on faith and life, for that is my goal this time around).
What is mythopoeia?
  • Mythopoeia is a phrase coined by J.R.R. Tolkien, my favorite author, to describe a person who literally makes myths.  From the Greek, "mythos" meaning myths, and "poeia" meaining 'to do, or make', thus "myth-making".  I have always been fascinated by the works of Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, and wrote my undergraduate thesis on the nature of mythopoeia and its relationship to the Christian life.

Well, that should serve as a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a thought? Share it below. I'd love to hear from you.